Sunday, August 19, 2007

Guangzhou, Here We Come!






Today was our final day here in Shenyang and for the first time in a week, we did nothing but rest! This was the first day that Ian and I weren't up at 5 am like we usually are. I think we slept in until about seven o' clock. I might have slept longer, but Asher woke us up because Hannah was leaving today. Both Steven and Andy start school tomorrow, and so Chelsea and Hannah had to leave today and head back home because they do not live here in Shenyang. We were sad to see them go and will miss having them around. They took such great care of us here in Shenyang and Dandong. Even when we were just feet from the North Korean border, I felt safe having Hannah with us.

After breakfast, Dad and I decided to take the boys to the park instead of them being cooped up in the hotel all day. The concierge gave us directions to a nearby park that was only about five minutes away. His directions were wrong, but we ended up finding the park anyways!

We came to a large area that was actually more like an amusement park. There were lots of kiddie rides and of course, that sparked Asher's curiosity. The rides were all about 10 yuan a piece, or a little more than a U.S. dollar. And the kids could stay on the ride for as long as they wanted.. or until the ride attendant told them to get off. We did bumper cars, the ferris wheel, a water ride, the merry go round, and a few others. The park reminded me a lot of our Cypress Gardens back home.

One thing I cherish about the Chinese culture is how they value the importance of family and community. There were people of all ages enjoying the park.. young parents taking their child on some rides, old couples playing a game of cards or listening to music, and even teenagers on a date! They all seemed to be having fun and you can tell it's something they do often. There are parks like that one all over China and it's fun to be able to live in their world for awhile.

We looked quite funny walking through their park since we were the only non-Chinese people! Asher did most of the communicating for us and would let the ride attendants know what rides he wanted to get on and when he wanted to get off.

One thing I've noticed, but haven't mentioned is that Asher LOVES cars! Any kind of car.. he loves. We brought a bag full of matchbox cars and he loves to sit and play with them. So, it wasn't a surprise that he ended up on every single ride that had anything to do with cars. He likes to take the Jenga blocks we brought and make ramps for his cars. It's cute to watch.

Tonight at dinner, Asher had a little bit of a meltdown because we wouldn't let him have soda. (Soda before bedtime is not a good idea.. sugar + him is not a good match.) He even went behind our backs and told the waiter he wanted soda.. but little did he know I could understand what he was asking for! He wasn't happy at all when we told him no, and he started crying and wouldn't even touch his food. We ended up giving in a little and told him if he ate his dinner, he could have some soda. He got the idea and started eating his food right away. It was funny because he finished drinking his water before he started on the soda. Then he ate an entire plate of noodles. This kid can sure eat! You guys at home think Esther can eat? Wait 'til you meet Asher!

Asher continues to charm everyone he meets with his smile. He sure knows how to use it. Our waitress was completely smitten with him tonight at dinner. I think she was smitten with all of us because she kept bringing us out dessert! We had some extra yuan left over so we bought some little cakes. I don't know why, but next thing I know she brings over a whole fruit cake and sets it down in front of me! I didn't want any, but I could tell she wanted me to eat it, so I had a few bites just so I wouldn't offend her. She even brought me a box to put the cake in so I could take it home. It was an okay cake.. but it won't be finding it's way into my stomach anytime soon!

The boys are both sleeping now and I think I'll be heading to bed soon, too.

We've really enjoyed our stay here in Shenyang, but we are glad to be getting on with our journey. Tomorrow, we head south to the city of Guangzhou where the American Embassy is located. We have to stay in Guangzhou for a few days so we can receive Asher's visa for him to come to the USA. Guangzhou is about two hours from Hong Kong, and we will be staying in a nice area called Shamian Island. We've stayed there before both in 2004 and 2006 and are looking forward to going back! =)

Elena, Kayla, Esther & Emma, we miss you a lot and can't wait to talk to you on the webcam tomorrow! Have fun at church and be good for Mr and Mrs Campbell!

Goodnight, from Shenyang!




3 comments:

Sonya said...

What a fun day!! Wish I could meet you in GUZ! Have fun shopping!!! I LOVE IT THERE!!!

Sonya

cheepette8 said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Have a safe flight to Guangzhou.

Joyce said...

Hi Sera,

Looks like you are having a great trip. I especially enjoyed all of the pictures at Dandong at the SWI. I remember the older deaf boy and the little albino girl from my visit. I'm glad that she will be getting a family. I'd like to talk to you and Sophie's mom about what the SWI needs and how we might help the children who remain there (sometime in the future when your lives settle down).

Safe journey home.

Joyce